Friday, February 02, 2007

History...Old Stuff

This morning Mike took the dogs on a nice long hike so that they'd be tired enough to stay home while we did some touring without them. After a four hour hike they did indeed seem tired.

So later this afternoon we went to explore St. Augustine - the oldest city in the United States. Our first stop was the Castillo de San Marcos. More simply put - some old fort.

As with all forts you must have a guard. Can you tell which one is the guard?



Just after we entered the fort there was a guy giving a talk about the history of the fort. I guess it was very interesting as just about everyone in the place (except me) gathered around to listen.



Basically there were just lots of rooms with signs telling about what each room was used for. Can you tell I'm not much into history? Well, I did enjoy the view from the upper level of the fort.



As we were leaving the fort I heard some very familiar music. The first thought that entered my brain was "oh, someone isn't allowed to practice at home." Mike said he didn't hear anything. But sure enough as we got nearer the road we could see the musician.



I remember when I used to practice - it pretty much disrupted anyone within a few block radius!!

From the castle we walked through old downtown. Let me tell you there is no shortage of shopping. All the shops were very quaint and there was quite a bit of interesting stuff. But the only thing we bought were a couple cannoli to take home for desert.

Our next stop was Mission of Nombre de Dios. I guess it was the first church build in St. Augustine. It was a very pretty setting. In the front was a pretty little fountain.



From there you went over a bridge that led to a cross that was at least a couple hundred feet tall.



As we crossed the bridge we saw some very cute Hooded Merganser.



They were busy little guys and I had a lot of trouble getting any good pictures of them. Here's one of them in the midst of his bath.



Even without the dogs with us we managed to scare an Egret off.



There were lots of beautiful gardens there although I guess it isn't really the season for flowers. But I did find one in bloom.



Well, time to go eat my cannoli!

Debbie
1/31/07

No comments:

Post a Comment