Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rats and Romance

(Woodinville, WA) What a week...mostly for Boogie, but for me too.

On Monday, I got to see my sister, whom I haven't seen in thirty years...literally. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time...my side was hurting so bad from all the laughter. We had a great time talking, playing Wii (bowling and tennis), and talking some more.



During the week, we met some people that have a Border Terrier. We thought it would be great fun if they could get together and play. And did they ever!




Most of the time they were moving too fast for me to get a clear picture.



They did stop a time or two for a brief moment. Of course I missed the shot...but here is the "second too late" shot. They were kissing each other. Way too cute. I think Boogie is in love.



Boogie was a little out of breath but very happy when play time was over.



Once the romance was over it was time to get down to business....playing with rats! And once again, Boogie was a highlight of the weekend....and not just according to us but to the judge as well. I'll start with this.

In Senior, the dogs have to work the rats (bark, dig, etc) for 90 seconds. Then the rat cage is removed from the tunnel. The handler then has 90 seconds to recall the dog. The dog must leave the empty den, make its way back through the tunnel and return to the handler...a very difficult task.

So Boogie, got to the rats, and worked his 90 seconds. They opened the lid to remove the rat cage and as they pulled it out, there was a dog attached to it! They were not only shocked but startled. That never happens. Mike immediately grabbed Boogie and asked the judge if that counted. The judge said there is nothing in the rules about it as no one ever considered the possibility that a dog could ever do that! So the judge decided that Mike had gotten Boogie in less than 90 seconds (about two seconds actually) so he figured it should be a pass. Leave it to Boogie to once again stump the rule book. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting this so I didn't get a photo. Darn.

Here's what happened. While Boogie was in the tunnel working, he had eaten through a couple dowels in 60 seconds. At that time he started barking like crazy for the next 30 seconds. Then when the rat cage was being pulled out, Boogie didn't like his rats leaving so he grabbed the cage as it was being pulled out. And now you know why Boogie's nickname (given by a previous earthdog judge) is Chainsaw. No dowels are safe when Boogie is around.

On an earlier run this weekend, Boogie was moving his lips all around and was making funny faces when he came out of the tunnel. We looked in his mouth and there were a whole bunch of wood chips stuck between many of his teeth from chewing the dowels. Oh Boogie! We cost the club a lot of money this weekend as they always had to replace the dowels when Boogie's turn was over.

But the highlight of the weekend for me was that we got to see Boogie's breeder, Harriet. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met...a very special person indeed in many ways. Here she is with Boogie.



Very special also was that we got to see Boogie's daddy, Higgins (far right),the most handsome guy you'll ever see, and Boogie's sister and littermate, Mimi (between Harriet and Higgins).



Another reason the weekend was special for me was that I actually got to do one event (Senior) with Boogie! My first time in about a year and a half. Boogie was perfect for me. Too bad I wasn't perfect for him. I forgot the rules since I haven't done it in so long - I was thinking Master when in fact, we were doing Senior. If I just would have kept my mouth shut, Boogie would have passed. Needless to say, Mike didn't let me try again the rest of the weekend! Here is Boogie popping out of the hole...coming to my recall. Good boy.



This weekend there were three Master's tests. Twice Boogie was paired up with another BT. His first partner was Angel. They hunted very well together. But at the point the dogs were supposed to hide their eyes, Boogie's partner Angel was peeking....didn't help her though as she still couldn't find the rats. Boogie, of course, had no problem.



His next partner was a 12 year old Border named Piper. Boogie has hunted with Piper before a couple years ago. And like last time, they were great partners. Look at the big smiles on their faces as they are hunting. That's what it's all about.



His final Master's partner was a Bedlington Terrier. We had seen this dog all this weekend and last weekend as well. Very nice, mellow dog. But as soon as this dog saw Boogie at the staging tent, he started barking non-stop and pulling toward Boogie. I didn't like the looks of this at all. I asked the handler if this was normal for her dog and she said "absolutely not". I started telling the handler that I was a bit concerned that her dog was so obsessed with Boogie. At this point, Boogie was completely ignoring the other dog. Boogie was excited to go hunting so he wasn't paying any attention to this nonsense.

The dog wouldn't let up so I started voicing my concern to the handler. She got a bit upset and started stomping off. I called her back and said they could try going out together...maybe her dog just wanted to play...which is what she was trying to convince me.

Shortly thereafter, it was time to start. Mike let Boogie off leash and he immediately romped off to start hunting. The other handler let her dog go and it immediately ran over and started pestering Boogie. Boogie was great and tried to ignore the other dog. But this dog wouldn't let it go. He started circling Boogie and growling. The judge, the handler, and Mike all immediately knew that an attack was imminent. The other handler, very wisely, immediately jumped in and got her dog and withdrew from the event.

That meant this turn was over. Boogie couldn't understand why he had to go back on leash and leave the area. He was very disappointed and didn't want to leave. Poor guy.

So they had to move us to the end and find a "bye" dog to run with Boogie since all the other dogs were partnered up. His new partner was a Cairn Terrier. They were perfect partners. It was this dog's first time to do Master so Boogie showed him the ropes.

Boogie did a great indicate.



His partner then came over to see what Boogie was doing and stuck his head right in the hole with Boogie. This is how they were the whole hunt up. Great partners.




I really enjoyed watching Harriet participate with Boogie's relatives. Here is Boogie's daddy...now you know where Boogie got his silliness.




The tests are usually a fair distance from the spectators. So we, as spectators, never know for sure if the participating dog passed or failed. So as people return they always give a thumbs up or thumbs down to let everyone know how they did. Here is Harriet returning after a successful attempt.



There were many breeders at Earthdog this weekend. And where there are breeders, there are puppies! I happened to walk by this cute puppy who had fallen asleep in his food dish.



There is nothing more adorable than a puppy.

Debbie
5/17-23/10

No comments:

Post a Comment