Saturday, April 10, 2010

First Week

(Rochester/Olympia, WA) After the weekend trial we drove south to Rochester where we stayed for the week. We immediately got started on all our WA chores. The dogs all went to the vet....you should have seen five dogs in one little exam room.

Boogie was lying right next to the door where the vet would go in and out. He had his nose to the ground and whined and cried the entire time. Finally I asked the vet if they had rats back there. She said they had cats but no rats. Boogie really doesn't know about cats so I wasn't convinced that was it. A few minutes later the vet said "we do have a ferret back there". Ah, that had to be it. Finally about a half hour later the vet asked if she could take Boogie in the back to see what it was he wanted so badly. So off they went. It turns out Boogie immediately went through the hall turned a corner, went through a door leading to the back examination area, sniffed a bit there, then continued on through a maze of halls to a very back room where the ferret was in cage. Jackpot. What a nose! That back room was quite a ways from the exam room we were in. As a side note, the vet said they had just been examining the ferret on the table where Boogie first took them to before continuing his search. Dogs have such amazing noses....it just astounds me.

During the days we found various fields where I could track with Boogie. He is getting so good. I'm really amazed at what he can do and what focus he has. I'm also happy that I can walk far enough with him to start on this sport.

Each day we also went in to Olympia to visit my family. It was so good to see them after such a long time. We were fortunate that my brother was there for a few days (from Canada) during this time. He brought his little Dachshund along....so we had six dogs in my parents house. My poor parents! This is Dolly in her favorite place...a lap, in this case, my dad's lap.




I tried to get a group picture but two of the dogs don't have good stays so we had to have helpers...Mike and my Mom. I took 14 pictures and Boogie had his eyes shut in every one. This is the closest to open I could get.




It wasn't until later that I found the best way to get a picture of all the dogs. My Dad was cutting up ham and that got everyones attention! Boogie was already licking his lips and dreaming of how good that ham was going to taste.




My niece, Yumi, also came by a number of evenings to join us for dinner. This was certainly a nice treat. The last time we saw her she was single and now she's just getting ready to celebrate her 2nd anniversary. Like most youngsters she is into the phone and texting. But I do have to say she was great and put it away almost the whole time she was with us. Now that is love!



Rex, Yumi's husband stopped by for a quick visit one evening while we were there.




Mom spent some time showing me the different Wii games. I couldn't begin to do most of them but I did manage to bowl a couple games. Unfortunately I disappointed my mom as I beat her high score of 202 with a 208. Guess I won't be invited back for a while!




Friday we left Rochester and moved to Elma where we will be doing a USDAA agility trial. We only entered the trial because we wanted to park at the fairground. And to park here, you had to be entered in the trial. So we entered Boogie in everything and Sparkie in just two runs a day.

We got to meet another batch of friends that we haven't seen in many many years as we haven't done USDAA in the PNW for eight years! In the last eight years we have only done one USDAA trial. It was five years ago in Phoenix. This ought to be quite the adventure.

Debbie
4/5-9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment