Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Track It Down

(Woodinville, WA) The dogs are so happy to have a yard. And I think they have used every inch of it...at lightening speed. Wazzu and Sparkie are acting like two year olds. It's so fun to see Wazzu so happy.

We spent most of our hours Monday and Tuesday tracking with Boogie. For the first time we got to track with other people. What a great experience. I learned so much.

Monday we went to a park near Arlington. It was a much larger field than we've ever tracked in before. The grass was super lush and taller than my ankles. The grass was wet and it was cool out with very little wind to speak of.

Mike laid three tracks, each about 150 yards with one right turn. Boogie and I tracked while the other person (a tracking judge it turned out) walked and watched from behind. We did this for all three tracks. Then we watched her do her track with her Sheltie.

I learned that tracking is a much more lenient sport than I was making it. Turns out all the little things I thought were big errors were WELL within the rules of tracking. Boogie ran his tracks today almost exactly in Mike's footprints. It was great.

At the end of the session, the lady said Boogie could pass a certification test today. What! I had bombs bursting and confetti going all over the place in my brain. How exciting!

Tuesday we went out to a huge farm in North Bend and met a couple ladies to do some tracking. This place was gigantic! It was hundreds and hundreds of acres. There were many distractions...flocks of geese nesting, a herd of elk, many elk "droppings", and thousands of mole hills. The grass was more than half way to my knees and it was very wet since it was raining out. Fortunately there wasn't much wind. Poor little Boogie couldn't see above the grass and he got sopping wet. He kept stopping to shake off even though it really did no good. He's so cute when he's all wet!

These gals really pushed Boogie. They laid a 350 yard track with three turns (none of which were double or triple laid). This was a huge leap for Boogie. Wouldn't you know, the little guy went at it for all he was worth. He had a tiny bit of trouble at one turn but worked it out. I am so impressed with Boogie. And the best part is that he absolutely seems to love it.

These ladies also gave me some good advice and once again I left very encouraged. I got to watch their dogs track - they are both working on an upper level title so it was fun to see very experienced dogs and people.

I can't wait to go again....although Mike did mention he can't spend all day every day taking Boogie and I tracking as we do have four other dogs that need attention. I don't think Boogie cares about that one bit!

Debbie
4/12-13/10

No comments:

Post a Comment