Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Stowaway

(Cottonwood, AZ) We were excited for another day of earthdog for Boogie. It turned out that things had to be different today.

Since Boogie was entered as FEO he had to wait until the event was over before he was allowed to have a turn. There was no judge or anyone to help us. They just gave Mike a cage with just one rat in it and then Mike, Boogie, and I went out to the Intro area. The start flags had been taken down as had been all the fencing. We certainly didn't need the fence as Boogie had no intention of leaving this fun place.

Mike put the rat cage in the tunnel and I let Boogie go where I thought the start line was. He took off like a shot and ran down into the tunnel. But once again he stopped about four to six inches before the rats and just stared at them. We tried over and over and he did the same thing every time.

They said that he was bred to go into the ground and get whatever he found. But he was also bred to be careful as he might find something that was ready to get him. Being a very young puppy he is a little worried that the rat may get him! So we'll just take it easy and not rush him as he is still very young. He had a good time though and really wanted to participate.

Just as an aside: Absolutely no rats were injured - or even touched in any manner by the dogs - during this entire event. The rats are all securely caged the entire time. I thought the rats may not have enjoyed the weekend nonetheless. However, they showed me a study that was done that showed that during the time the rats are in the trenches they actually nap. Well, okay, I guess I can believe that. However, the study went on to say that the rats feel so safe and comfortable that many of them actually try to mate during this time! Well there you go! I guess earthdog events are fun for both the dogs and the rats!

When all was said and done, Mike helped fill in all the trenches. As I was watching from afar I could see huge clouds of dust as they shoveled all the dirt into the trenches. I sure hope we are out of the Valley Fever area as there was a LOT of dirt flying around. We even had a couple twisters come through today and dirt and everything else in it's path went flying. I happened to be holding Boogie when one came through and it started taking us away. Fortunately I was close to a large brick pillar and I hurried and stood behind that. Even so my eyes were filled with dust and I had a hard time staying put. Boogie was scared - it was a really good thing I was holding him. Mike and many others grabbed tent poles to help keep the tents from blowing away - even though they were staked down it wouldn't have helped.

Fortunately Wazzu wasn't outside during any of the twisters. Nor did she do earthdog of course. But even if she was allowed to participate, I certainly wouldn't have let her. I think I need to get her one of those little masks like doctors wear during surgery - she'd love that!

I took Wazzu out on her own walk - just the two of us. I think she is getting a little "down" as Boogie seems to be getting a lot of my attention. Wazzu is used to being number one with my attention and that's no longer the case. So we had some one on one time together.

At the beginning of this particular trail was a flume. There weren't any signs around so I'm not sure of it's purpose but you don't see many flumes anymore. I'm sure it was left over from an old irrigation system - maybe it still is used for that.



Much of the walk was next to the Verde river.



While Wazzu didn't seem all that happy on our walk, she was interested in checking out who might live in this tree. I wasn't all that keen on her finding out who lived there in case they were actually home! But like a good girl, she came out the second I called her.



Okay, on to our little mystery. We have this "thing" in our RV. It's been here for well over a year. We're not sure where it is, or what it is for that matter, - we think it's in the couch although we can't find it. Whatever it is, it talks....really. It will be quiet for months and then suddenly it will talk ten to twelve times a day for a while.

It says a variety of things but its three favorites are "Whatcha doing?", "Well, whatcha know",and "Oh No, Aaaaag" Actually that last word I have no idea how to spell since it's not a word, it's just a sound. I can't think of any letters to make the sound - so those letters aren't it - but there just aren't letters for that sound. But if you're curious give me a call and I'll make the sound for you!

Anyway, tonight Mike was telling me that next week we're going to be very confused as we'll be going to a new time zone on Tuesday but then clocks will be set back Saturday night. Just as he said that the "thing" said "On No, Aaaag." Mike started laughing and said there really isn't any use having me around anymore at all. Hmmm, I guess he thinks the only three things I say are "Whatcha Doing?", "Well, whatcha know" and "Oh No, Aaaaag." I think I say a COUPLE things more than that...or at least I'd better start! Ha ha.

Debbie
10/21/07

No comments:

Post a Comment