Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Now Who's The Great Hunter!

(Cottonwood, AZ) Mike had some Indian ruins that he wanted to go see today. So he took Sparkie and Boogie out for a nice long hike in the morning to at least get the edge off them. Then he took Slugger out for a little bit of sniffing. Although Mike did say that his arm and Slugger's neck both got longer during that walk. Oops.

Around 5pm I thought maybe my legs would feel better if I got up and took a little walk. Wazzu got so excited when she saw me getting up so of course I decided to take her along.

I really needed a flat easy walk so I chose this really pretty but short path.



Unlike Boogie who hunts by sniffing along the ground, Wazzu hunts by sniffing the air but mostly by listening.



Like Wazzu often does, she suddenly stopped, stood perfectly still, and cocked her head way to the side. When she does this, I know there is something there. It may be underground but something is there! Sure enough, after a minute, Wazzu did this huge jump in the air and pounced. I saw something zip across the ground with Wazzu in hot pursuit. Wazzu leapt and pounced again, then she reached down and picked something up in her mouth. I couldn't tell what it was but it was flopping around.

Since I didn't know what she may have I told her to drop it. Like always, she minded instantly and dropped her prize on the ground. The way she was moving her tongue around I'm thinking maybe lizard skin has some yucky taste to help protect them from predators. I'm not sure but I think this is some kind of Western Fence Lizard.



But even though I made her drop it, I never told her she had to ignore it.



They had quite the stare off. The lizard was waiting for just the right moment to zip off to safety and Wazzu was waiting to pounce on it if it did decide to move.



As you can see, this is a very good sized lizard - not sure I've seen one so fat. Then suddenly, without warning, the lizard made its move...with Wazzu hot on its tail. She caught it a couple different times before it finally made its way into a nearby tree for safety.



But Wazzu was still very excited and hopeful that the lizard may come back down to play. Isn't that just the happiest sweetest face you've ever seen! I love seeing her so happy.



As you might guess, the lizard had no plans to come down to play and instead went further up in the tree. How interesting that they can hang upside down on the tree so easily. They must have great suction cups on the tips of their fingers.



Wazzu just kept watching the lizard - amazing she could follow it so well.



While Wazzu really was having a good time, I needed to head back. Poor Wazzu...she didn't want to leave at all. I'm so sorry Wazzu.

Shoot. When we got back, Boogie met me right at the door all excited - he was sure it was his turn. Even though I knew I shouldn't, I decided I'd take him out for a very short walk.

He has turned into a hunting monster. Somehow he managed to find another great hunting spot. Good for him...not so much for me.

I think you can tell by checking out the following pictures that he was having a great time.






























As you probably guessed, I had no better luck with our recall today at all. Good thing that tail sticks out.

Debbie
4/8/08

No comments:

Post a Comment