Sunday, April 13, 2008

Talented Dogs

(Prescott, AZ) This morning Mike took all the dogs on one last hike in Cottonwood. None of us really want to leave here. It is quiet, pretty, and full of hiking opportunities. But there's an agility trial this weekend in Prescott so of we go.

We're really glad for the morning hike as there is nothing at all here at the Yavapai Country Fairgrounds. There is a flat dirt field where you're allowed to walk your dogs but they aren't allowed off leash anywhere on the premises. Boo Hiss.

I was hoping if I stayed down all day Friday that I'd be able to run Wazzu all weekend. But it wasn't to be.

Mike stayed really busy trying to run three dogs in three different levels. He'd run in to the RV and grab a dog, run inside and run the dog, zoom back out to the RV, throw a dog in to the RV, and grab the next dog and go run. It was pretty funny as a couple times he got confused and couldn't remember which dog he was supposed to be getting.

But the best thing was that every time he'd bring a dog back he'd say, "she ran perfectly", "he's the man", or "no one is going to beat that run." Well, if you have to lie down and do nothing, it's really fun to see the dogs come back all happy and successful. This was the first time ever that I didn't at least get to go watch. So sad.

As bad as my legs were, there was no way I was going to miss doing Elite Chances with my girl. I literally got up, walked directly to the ring, ran the course, and went directly back to the RV. Wazzu was once again the perfect girl. She took off like a shot and did the course like she knew the numbers. I think she didn't want me to have to move much so she just went out and did all the work by herself. What a girl.

So to recap Saturday, the only Q Slugger missed all day was in Weavers. He tried really hard but missed a weave entry then back weaved as he tried to get ready to do it again. But he was head bopping all day today so that was super cool. In addition, he got is Open Touch N Go title today.

Sparkie was totally on today as well. Her only non-Q was in Weavers. Mike was so excited as she was really scooting through the course. Sparkie was in the last set of weaves and Mike was really pushing her. He thought Sparkie was done and he really took off for the last tunnel. Sparkie followed but she was at pole 11. Mike didn't even realize Sparkie missed the last pole until the results were posted and someone told him. But I'll tell you, if that's you're only mistake of the day, you've had a great day!

Wazzu was the leader for the day though as she was PERFECT! Of course. Ha ha. Maybe she was running fast so that she could hurry back and come see me. I'll pretend that's what it was.

Sunday we went through the same procedure. I have never seen Mike so busy...and so good too! Slugger was just a tad slower than yesterday but he was still doing his cute head bop. And get this...he was PERFECT today. What a man!

Sparkie decided she wanted to get in on the perfect stuff too and today she was PERFECT! From what I'm told, she and Mike were working together just perfectly this weekend. Sure wish I could have seen their beautiful teamwork.

Wazzu and Mike did really well together again today. The only error they made today was on the last run of the weekend. Mike's not sure what the problem was but Wazzu knocked one bar during her Jumpers run. But who cares. As long as it doesn't become a consistent problem, I'm not worried about a bar here or there.

Like yesterday, I got up to walk in, do the Chances run, and go back to the RV. Today's Chances run was hard...for us. It had weaves at a distance - never a good thing for us. Wazzu did the beginning part like she'd done it a million times before. Then it came time to do the weaves at a distance. She ran right out (the first shock for me), she entered the weaves (second shock), and after the first pole she popped out and came running to me. Oh bummer. This is what I thought might happen. I told her to go weave! She went out then stood half way between the jump and the weaves and decided to go do the jump. NO! She stopped turned around and looked at me, looked at the weaves, and took off like a shot and did some of the fastest weaves she's ever done. I knew we had it then! She stayed way out and did a tunnel and then she took major air over the a-frame. No exaggeration - she went from yellow to yellow. She stayed out and finished the rest. What a good girl. Maybe, just maybe, she is starting to like Chances!

Amazingly enough, each dog only missed one Q all weekend. Wow, my dogs sure are talented! (Notice how when they are really good they are "my" dogs! Tee hee.)

Little Boogie however thought this was the most boring weekend ever. At first, every time Mike would return to the RV he would bark and bark and jump around. By Sunday late morning, Boogie didn't bark at all. In fact, he didn't even pick his head up off the floor. He was acting very depressed. Poor guy. We tried to remind him about last weekend where he got all the attention - but he wasn't buying it at all.

Mike said this was a great place for a trial. The arena was really nice and stayed cool inside even when it was hot outside, the footing was really nice, there was plenty of crating space for everyone, and there was plenty of room for RV's right next to the building.

Sorry there aren't any pictures but since I'm the photographer.... So I'll include a picture I purchased that was taken two weeks ago.



Mike helped load the equipment trailer and then we took off for Flagstaff. We had reservations but when we arrived there was only one space available. The whole park has a lot of trees and the particular spot we were in was especially narrow. To open the slides they had to push limbs out of the way. Mike could barely even open the door to get out. The worst part was that there were too many trees in the way so we couldn't get the satellite to see the sky. That meant no TV or internet...there goes my life!

All the spots in the park with the exception of eight have cable TV. We're in one of those eight. Bummer. Fortunately we did find out that they do have free internet so at least I'll have something to do to occupy my time. I'm not sure how we're going to live without TV though. That's pretty sad isn't it. Tee Hee.

Debbie
4/11-13/08

No comments:

Post a Comment