Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Perfect Day

What a LONG night! Between pain, noise, and worry I was wide awake all night long. The park we're at is literally the road width from the freeway. And I guess lots of people in Houston like to drive at night as it was extremely noisy all night long. At first I thought it must have been raining really hard - but I knew there was no rain in the forecast. So then my brain tried to tell me that we were in a RV wash - you know - like a car wash. After quite a few hours I realized it was just the rush of the non-stop freeway traffic.

In addition, we are jam packed in this park like sardines. So much so that we actually had to park our car behind the RV in the road. So all night I was listening for someone to hit our car. I was sure glad when morning came! But am I ever sleepy. Oh well, another night will come - although I'm sure it will be noisy as well.

Mike and the dogs went out to explore Houston parks this morning. They found some nice ones although they were definetly on leash parks. But the walked for about four hours and it is really hot here - oh gosh that reminds me of a funny story. Anyway, the dogs were plenty tired when they got home.

Okay, short break here for the funny story. When I was in high school we had exchange students from Japan stay with us quite often. One guy that came to stay with us, Shusaku, bought a bus pass so he could take a trip around the United States. This was long before cell phones and the internet so every once in a while we would receive a post card from him. As was with all of our exchange students, while they could learn a fair amount of English, they all had trouble learning our sayings. Shusaku got to Houston in the middle of the summer. He sent us a postcard telling us all about Houston and then added "It is hotter than Houston." I'm sure you can figure out what he meant to say. Oh, I guess you had to be there. But to this day when it is really hot all my family members will say "It is hotter than Houston."

Anyway, after Mike and the dogs got back from their hikes they picked me up and we went to Galveston to play on the beach. It turns out you can drive on the beach here so we drove drown the beach a ways until a sign that said you couldn't drive any further on the beach. So we parked the car there. For some reason everyone would park along the beach and then play or fish in front of where they parked. There was absolutely no one on the beach on the part where cars weren't allowed. So we walked there and went down the beach a ways and we had our own private beach.

This was one of the highlights of our trip as all three dogs were oblivious to anything going on anywhere except for playing with each other. Normally Slugger will swim and the girls will go around sniffing or chewing sticks or just sit and watch. But today all three of them chased the toy into the surf all together at full speed. All three were determined to get the toy. Wazzu was so happy and had a big smile and Sparkie was running around like she hadn't played in days...oh I guess she hadn't as we spent the last two days just driving.

I took over 300 hundred pictures and almost every one of them was great! I'll share just a few of them with you so you can see how much fun the dogs had. It truly was continual motion - and nonstop barking from Sparkie. Gosh she was noisy! That means she was having fun.

Mike rarely looks at the pictures I take as he says he was there so why does he need to look at the pictures. Maybe that's why I enjoy sharing them with you. He did happen to glance over as I was going through them and said this one could be in a magazine. Great action and good color - looks better large but you get the idea.



Here they are just playing together like the best buds they truly are. Off they go for the toy.



Ah, Wazzu got it this time! She was actually very motivated the whole time and got the toy fairly consistantly.



Slugger finally got it but Wazzu wasn't about to let him come all the way in with it.



Victory!!



Look at that happy face! I just love it! Here they are anxiously anticipating Mike throwing the toy.



The one place Slugger has no fear is in the water. This is what Slugger looks like when you say "Ready."




Here he fights the waves for his toy.



Victory over the waves!



When the water is deep enough that the dogs have to swim there is no competition - Slugger wins hands down. But here the water was very shallow so there wasn't any swimming unless you got way out. When it comes to running through the water the girls are much taller and can jump over the waves much better than Slugger. So most often they got the toy first. But that didn't stop little Slugger from wanting the toy.



And it sure didn't stop him from trying really hard to get there first.



Even when we held Wazzu so that Slugger could get a big head start that didn't stop her from running out there and chasing him back in to try and steal the toy.



The chase is on!



Sparkie was so happy when she was actually able to get the toy. While she would usually get to the toy first, Wazzu would let her know who's the top dog.



As you can probably tell, a good time was had by all.

Now it was my turn for fun in Houston! Houston is home to Lakewood Church and Joel Osteen. It is the largest church in the United States and is held in what used to be the home of the Houston Rockets - the professional basketball team. As you can imagine it is huge! I don't remember how many people it holds - but more than for a basketball game as there are chairs the entire floor area as well. On Sunday's every seat is full and they have three services! They've really fixed it up so nicely inside. In addition to the arena they have many other buildings as well on their campus. It takes up a few blocks. It really is an amazing place.

Since a number of churches turn me away I almost didn't go at the last minute. But Mike said we should give it a try since I'd really been looking forward to it. On every telecast, Joel Osteen always says "If you are ever in Houston I hope you'll stop by to see us. I promise we'll make you feel right at home." And did he ever keep his word. The people there were extremely accommodating. They found a perfect place for Wazzu and I where we were out of the way and could still see. I think it's the first time I've seen in church in the past seven years! And the usher that took us in met us at the end of the service to make sure we got out fine and found our way back to where we had entered as it is a huge place.

I didn't want to use a flash during the service so my pictures are blurry since I couldn't hold still enough without the flash. But I thought I'd include them anyway so you could get an idea of the place.

Being Wednesday the place wasn't nearly full but that was fine with me. It was still so exciting. The atmosphere was electric and the people were all so nice. From the view in this picture you can only see a small portion of the lower level. There is another whole level upstairs.



I got this whole bench to myself for most of the service so I could lie down and still see. Wazzu, while ALWAYS perfect, was especially tuckered from the day's activities so once she laid down she didn't open her eyes the entire time - even when people wanted to come pet her.



What an awesome evening! Talk about a natural high! I think I might move to Houston....if only it wasn't in Texas! LOL

Debbie
3/7/07

No comments:

Post a Comment