Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mega-Dogs

We have a number of trials that we really enjoy each year but this one is probably our favorite of all. This is the Eighth Annual Mega-Dogs trial and we have been fortunate enough to attend every one of them! Even though Mega-Dogs is a club of just one person (Karen Hunter) and three dogs, they always put on a truly fabulous trial. We have LOTS of great memories from over the years - and expect to gather a few more this weekend.

The weather today was perfect for the dogs. Not too warm for them – not too warm for us people either. Okay, it could have been warmer for me – but I’ll sacrifice for Wazzu.

My friend Shari was set up right next to us so we were able to visit quite a bit. You know someones a true friend when they lie down with you to visit!



It was fun to get to see Ozzie and Shari run as they haven't competed much for a couple years. They had some very nice runs. Shari brought her newest dog Slick along too to watch. He’s not used to this type of atmosphere but he did pretty well. Wazzu loves Shari, Ozzie, and Slick so she was very happy to see them all. Here are Slick & Ozzie waiting for Aunt Debbie to give them another treat!



Sparkie and Mike had a very nice day. Mike’s whole goal today was to be happy with Sparkie. And he did a great job! First was Touch N Go. She had the fastest time but just missed a contact (clearly). Even so Mike celebrated with her very nicely. Then came a very difficult Regular double shot. Only three dogs Q’d in both runs –Sparkie and Wazzu were two of them. Sparkie was very fast and very consistent. 34.50 and 34.43 – can’t get too much more consistent than that! She got a Q1 & Q3. Wazzu got Q1 in both runs. Next was Chances. Sparkie and Mike had by far the smoothest run of any of the dogs – at least that what many people said. But unfortunately she uncharacteristically knocked a bar. Again Mike celebrated very nicely with her. The last run was Jumpers. Sparkie and Mike had a nice run and were .80 out of first.



Wazzu was happy for four out of her five runs. The fifth one was my fault. In Touch N Go she was really fast and happy – she loves TNG. She ended up coming in 2nd in a very large and competitive 20+ Elite class. I was very proud of her. The Chances run took place in the hottest part of the day and she had been napping. So I got her up and got her wet which made her really frisky. Then I got out some freshly fried lamb liver which she goes bonkers for. She was ready to go and there were just four dogs in front of us. Since I’m in charge of scorekeeping all weekend someone came and asked me a scoring question. I should have said I’ll be in after our run. Buy it is just automatic reaction for me to want to help. So I went in to see what I could do. So since I'm now ignoring Wazzu she goes and lies under the table. When I got her from under the table she was feeling neglected. We got out there just in time to go to the line. I could barely get her to leave the line. She literally walked. It's hard to get any distance when she's walking. So after two obstacles (and already off course) we left as I couldn't get her to even walk anymore! Bummer. She ran nicely in Jumpers and got Q4. So it was a good day for both girls. But a little hard on me as I had to be up a lot!

Normally the big dinner is on Saturday evening but this year it is on Sunday. Karen got a huge circus tent this year so that we'd have cover just in case is rains. But today people enjoyed sitting under the tent to visit while watching others run.



After the “real” runs were over they had “The Ridiculous Relay.” There were six teams of three. It was pretty ridiculous. Our team consisted of Shari & Ozzie, Mike & Sparkie, and me & Wazzu. In fitting with the weekend's Luau theme, our team name was the Kooky Coco Nuts. Shari had to hula hoop with six hula hoops at one time (she did great!) and then she and Ozzie had to run a hoopers course. When they finished (in the middle of the field) Shari had to take her lei off and put it around Mike’s neck. There were seven curved tunnels in the shape of a long wavy snake – but the tunnels were only each about a foot apart. The handler had to wear flippers while directing the dog through the tunnels. Most dogs kept popping out between the tunnels. But Sparkie ran right through the whole thing really fast while Mike ran backward in his flippers. They were great. I then had to get the lei from Mike and put it around my neck. The last part was two jumps an A-frame and two more jumps. Sounds easy. But there were a bunch of people lined up with squirt guns shooting you as you ran the course. Extra credit was given for creativity so I wore all my rain gear. But Wazzu wouldn’t run as she thought she was in trouble. Some people spray water at their dogs when they do something wrong. Well I’ve NEVER done that with Wazzu but she thought she was in trouble so she wouldn’t run. The people were nice and stopped squirting until she got going a little – then I crossed over so that I was between her and the squirt guns. I'm not so sure about Wazzu but the rest of us had a great time!

There was a massage therapist at the trial today. Since Slugger had to stay in the RV all day we made an appointment for him to get a massage as he loves to be touched. We couldn't take him to the trial site as he would have gotten way too excited so the therapist was really nice and came to the RV. As it turned out, Slugger was so busy kissing her the ENTIRE time that he had no idea he was getting a massage. But he definitely enjoyed his 15 minutes of kissing. Silly Slugger.

Debbie
5/26/07

No comments:

Post a Comment