Monday, May 21, 2007

My Dear Little Gabby

In 1984 while living in Bothell WA, Mike and I went to a pet store to get a couple things for the dogs. While there we saw a beautiful young grey with yellow head hand-fed cockatiel. He was quite the character and for some reason really caught my eye. He was constantly singing and was very tame. I couldn't leave that store without him. Due to his constant singing he had a name before we even got him home. We affectionately named him Gabby. And did he ever live up to his name.

He became quite a companion. He would ride around on my shoulder and sing beautiful songs to me. Gabby loved the two dogs and would sit on them and follow them around the house. He got along great with the cat too.

But I was his favorite. He would follow me from room to room. In fact, we found out by accident that birds love to sit on the curtain rod when you shower. I later read that they love the water splashes. Gabby sure did. He would flap his wings around and try to lean in to get splashed. He also loved to sleep with me. He would sit right next to my neck and snuggle in. Fortunately, I was a pretty still sleeper.

Boy was I surprised when one evening while lying in bed watching TV, Gabby bit my ear - hard. He'd never done that before. After he bit me a couple times I put him in his cage. The next night - same thing. I couldn't understand it. As it happened, a couple days later I took Gabby and our new bird, Buster, (that we had gotten a few months ealier) to the pet store to get their nails clipped. While they were clipping Buster I walked around the store with Gabby. He went beserk. The guy at the store mentioned that he thought Gabby was in love with Buster. What?! We had been told Buster was a boy.

Well, it turned out Buster was a girl. And Gabby was now in love with Buster - I was not first in line anymore. Sure enough a short time later Buster laid an egg. We were told it most likely wouldn't hatch and if it did it was unlikely the bird would live. Long story short - in their lifetime Gabby and Buster laid six eggs all of which hatched and lived. We hand-fed and tamed each one of them. It was a lot of fun having eight cockatiels.

Unfortunately, when we moved into the RV we just didn't have space for the birds. Plus we weren't sure that they'd be able to put up with all the bumping and bouncing of all the travel. We were so lucky to find a very good home for the birds. We are so thankful for a home where the birds are loved and well cared for.

It was a very sad day today when we learned that Gabby was attacked by a visiting dog and was killed. He was raised around dogs and even lived with dogs his entire life so he didn't know to be afraid of them. We don't place any blame as accidents happen. But nonetheless it is a very sad day. Many tears for my sweet little Gabster - the great birdie dad who raised six wonderful birdie kids.

Sing on little Gabby.

Much love always,
Debbie
5/21/07

No comments:

Post a Comment