Saturday, July 07, 2007

Here and There

(OR/WA) On Sunday, Mike dropped Wazzu and me off at my parents house in Olympia. He and the other two dogs then drove on down to Eugene, Oregon to get the RV repaired.

As it turned out, the factory service center leaves a lot to be desired. They didn't even look at our RV until Thursday! We could have stayed at our Woodinville resort four more days! That left Mike with a lot of time to fill with the dogs. The biggest problem is that Slugger can't walk very far as his leg is still recovering from surgery. Yet, Sparkie has enough energy to run all the way back to Washington. Not knowing that the RV wouldn't get looked at for so many days, Mike had to have both dogs out of the RV in case it would get worked on. So they'd take a short walk then rest for an hour or so and then do it all over again.

July 4th, Mike took them for a hike in the forest and then drove over to the beach. What a difference! Inland it was hot! But on the beach it was cool and very windy which made it seem very cold. Even so I think the dogs had a great time.

As usual, each dog wanted to go a different way!



Slugger is pulling hard so his leash is taut. But notice how the wind is blowing Sparkie's leash.



Notice how the grass is being blown to the side.



I'm thinking, however, that this isn't the only windy day they've had at the beach. Take a look at these trees!



To get to the beach they had to cross a little creek



and then walk through some dunes.



After a nice romp on the beach they took a little drive. Look at the beautiful coastline.



The coastline is so pretty. We're so lucky to be able to visit places like this from coast to coast.



I called Mike the next day to see how the dogs did on the 4th and to see if it was very noisy. Mike said they are way out in the country and that the bullfrogs were much louder than the fireworks!

While Mike and the youngsters were hiking and playing on the beach, Wazzu was busy helping my mom and dad take care of me. Wazzu has got to be the most loyal dog. She would only leave my side when highly encouraged to do so. She'd eat or go out to go potty and then run right back down to lay with me.

Mom was so very helpful waiting on me hand and foot all week. She also was very kind to feed Wazzu and take her out for little play times each day. Dad even took her along with him one day on his daily jog. I think Wazzu had a great time but the second they got home she came running downstairs to be with me once again.

By Wednesday I got the idea to walk just outside to lay on the bench on the deck so that I could soak up some sun and get some fresh air. Sure wish I would have thought of that earlier. I'll try to show you the layout.

To the left of this picture is the sliding glass door that leads into the house.


To the right you can see the sound - as shown in this picture.



It was so nice and warm and the view from the deck is so pretty - especially when the weather is so nice. I could watch the boats go by in Puget Sound....



.....could see Mt. Rainier.....



.....and could look at the beautiful flowers in the yard just below the deck.



In the morning hours I got to watch some wildlife as well. Here I captured a Stellar's Jay who was quite noisy.



Just a short time later a squirrel starting playing around and jumping from tree to tree. I tried but was unsuccessful at capturing him while he was in the air.



In addition to the beautiful scenery, there are some deer that like to hang out in and around my parents yard. When I went out to lay outside, of course Wazzu came with me. As I laid down I told her to go down into the yard so she could potty. She got to the edge of the deck stopped in her tracks. I looked over the edge and saw two small deer about five feet from the end of the steps.



Wazzu stood perfectly still and watched the deer graze.



About ten minutes later, a large deer and two teeny tiny babies with little spots came to join the first two deer - but I didn't want to move a muscle as I didn't want to scare the babies, so I didn't get a picture of them. All five deer were less than ten feet from Wazzu but she continued to be a statue.



Suddenly about 20 feet beyond the deer, a squirrel started playing and running around. I figured there was no way Wazzu would have that much self control. Although she saw the squirrel, she still didn't move. I couldn't believe it. This went on for quite some time when suddenly the two little baby deer decided to play and wrestle. This was just too much. Wazzu wanted to play too. So she started to dart down to play when suddenly the deer scattered in all directions. I thought Wazzu would chase them but she stopped immediately. It was so sad. I could see her thinking..."Why did they leave? I just wanted to play too."

Wazzu came back on the deck and stood there for quite some time just watching for them to return.



In fact, she waited so long she got tired standing and had to lie down.



I figured we wouldn't see them again. But about half an hour later sure enough a couple of them came back.







I left the camera outside when I went in for lunch as there wasn't anything inside I'd need a picture of. We hadn't been inside more than a few minutes when something caught both my eye and Wazzu's. We both looked up and there staring in the screen door at us was a large raccoon. Wouldn't you know, my camera was outside. Arg. But of my goodness, Wazzu thought this was very exciting. However, after her raccoon encounter last year, there was no way I was going to let Wazzu out - much to her dismay!

I'll leave you with a couple more pictures of the beautiful view.





Debbie
7/1-5/07

No comments:

Post a Comment