Sunday, December 10, 2006

3..2..1

The past few days have been fairly sedate. Unless you're Wazzu. Our days have pretty much consisted of squirrel stalking. And for some reason, most squirrel stalking outings require that you carry the pumpkin. But we did manage a couple outings without it.



For the last few days we have been overrun with KIDS. The average age in the park dropped by about 40 years. Egads, I haven't seen this many kids in one place in a long time. Little Wazzu who normally loves kids wasn't too happy with them. Besides being noisy so the squirrels wouldn't come down, the kids were just plain mean. Wazzu would finally search out a squirrel and the kids would see her standing so still and they would run up and chase the squirrel up the tree. The look of complete disbelief and hurt was so clear on Wazzu's face. I felt very sorry for her.

I tried to explain to her that kids will be kids. But she told me I should have kindly explained to the kids that it wasn't nice. That way the kids would grow up to be better people and not mean adults. She reminded me of the time we were in LA at an agility trial where she was stalking a gopher. She was less than an inch from the gopher. They really were nose to nose. There were probably 40 people standing around watching when suddenly out of nowhere this 40ish year old guy came running through the crowd as fast as he could and stomped on the gopher. The gopher ducked down in his hole (I don't know if he actually got his head stepped on) and Wazzu jumped back absolutely petrified. The jaw of everyone in the crowd dropped as the guy then left as fast as he came. I was so mad - but speechless. I was mainly mad because he could have severely injured Wazzu if she hadn't moved so fast. Even with her fast movement he only missed her nose by half an inch. Oops. Got off track. Tee hee.

Anyway, you'd have thought a bomb went off here this morning as probably 250 RV's left - taking all the kids with them! To celebrate Wazzu made me take her on three walks....I mean stalks. At one place there were four squirrels within a 3' area and they were teasing Wazzu to no end. I finally had to lay down on the picnic table and wait for her as she stayed there at least half an hour. They weren't a foot or two from her but on both sides so she had to keep looking back and forth...without moving fast of course.



As you know, Slugger likes to hunt lizards. Today he thought he'd found the biggest lizard he'd ever seen. But as he walked by it went into the lake. Little did he know it was no lizard....it was an alligator!!



No wonder the sign at the small lake in the park says "no swimming!"

Yesterday when Mike took the dogs out, I decided I would actually like to go for a walk instead of a stalk. So I walked next door to Old Kissimmee. It's just a street where cars aren't allowed and there are lots of little stores and a small amusement park. And of course, this time of year there is a Christmas tree.



One of the stores on this street was an A&W Root Beer. I love A&W Root Beer - but not out of cans. I love the root beer in those nice frosty glass mugs. Not only do I love the root beer and the frosty mugs but it brings back really nice memories of me and my dad when I was little. So today when we went for some root beer I had to call Dad and reminisce.




As you probably know, yesterday was the shuttle launch. Mike and my brother, Dave, drove to the Kennedy Space Center to watch the launch. They both really enjoyed it. I'm not posting a picture as I'm sure you all saw pictures on the news. But it sure was bright!!

I'll leave you with a couple more pictures of the great (and now famous) squirrel stalker.






Debbie
12/10/06

No comments:

Post a Comment