Thursday, December 28, 2006

Outing

Today, Mike decided to take the dogs on a shorter hike so they invited me to go along. The past couple days they had been scouting out the trails and found one suitable for me.

It wasn't a specially scenic trail but it was a great place for the dogs as it was a lightly treed forest with no underbrush. So the dogs could run quite a long ways and we could still see them easily. They didn't really run off very far as there just really many signs at all of any wildlife.




There were however some bushes with these little berries on them. They must have been very tasty berries as Sparkie wouldn't stop eating them. Mike would catch her eating them and tell her to leave it and she would run ahead. Sure enough when we got up to where she was she'd be standing there picking the berries off the bush and eating them just as fast as she could. I guess they aren't poisonous as she hasn't been sick at all.

We did see one sign of life.....but fortunately there was no one home! I found the shell of a bug on a tree. How it was still holding on to the tree with the bug gone I don't know but I'm sure glad the bug was gone. It was creepy enough as it was.



We came across this large rock that had a little opening. It looked like a Flintstones chair. Slugger and Mike each took turns in the chair.



Just as we were getting back we heard a woodpecker up in the tree. It took me quite some time to find him and then wait for him to be in the clear instead of behind a limb or leaf. It turned out to be a ivory billed woodpecker - very pretty. I had one opportunity for a shot. I think I did okay.





Even though it wasn't very scenic I totally enjoyed being out in the woods with everyone. I really missed hiking with them. They seemed to enjoy having me along too.

My friend, Shari, gave us the movie "RV" for Christmas so we watched in it. Pretty funny! But interesting the things we noticed in the film that most people probably wouldn't have noticed. Like how when they ran into things the RV didn't get dented (certainly not our experience!) or how they drove with all these things sitting on the counter! But we did enjoy it a lot.

Debbie
12/27/06

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:46 PM

    this is a Pileated Woodpecker, not an Ivory-bill

    ReplyDelete