Sunday, December 03, 2006

HELP....NEED BEER

I couldn't decide whether to name this post "Help...Need Beer" or "Bite Me." Okay, let me explain.

Today we decided to take a driving tour of St. Petersburg and Tampa. I've been telling you we were staying just outside of Tampa. I guess that is kind of true but in actuality we're much closer to Sarasota. Anyway, after traveling over a few toll roads we found our way.

As we were driving around we saw a guy standing on the corner with a sign. I figured it said something along the lines of "Will work for food" or "Please help, God Bless." Just while we were waiting for the light a number of people held money out their window for him. As we got closer we saw that the sign said "Help, Need Beer." I must admit I'd never seen that before....and I never saw anyone get so much money before either. I saw on TV recently that these people on the corner average about $20 an hour! I'm pretty sure this guy was getting more than that. We're not sure why he needed beer as he acted a bit drunk as it was!

Anyway, as we drove through downtown St. Petersburg we saw a little street fair. So we decided to stop and look around. As we got out of the car we saw a whole bunch of boats. We decided to go look at the boats first and then walk around the street fair.

It turned out that this was the St. Petersburg Yacht Club. It was HUGE. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many boats in one place. There had to be thousands.



We walked around with Mike and I looking at al the boats and the dogs looking in all the trees for squirrels....of which they found many. As you can imagine it was very slow going.

Directly across the water from the Yacht Club was the airport. And a busy one at that. It was just Cessna type planes but they were coming and going constantly.



There was a very pretty park along there as well and it seem well used.

After leaving there we walked to the street fair - just as they were all tearing down their booths. Guess that timing saved us some money! We went back to the car and noticed that in the park where we were parked they were starting to set up for Figgy Pudding that was to start in a couple hours. What do you know....too late for one thing and too early for the other. So is this national Figgy Pudding day? Did any of you in the Seattle area go to Figgy Pudding? We absolutely love Figgy Pudding in Seattle. What a perfect kick off for the Christmas season. If you've never gone you really should go next year.

Just in front of our car was a large tree...that was very noisy. In the tree were probably 20 parrots. They are wild down here and are seen (and heard!) frequently.



On our drive back we went through Tampa. So many memories came flooding back as we saw two cruise ships in port. The Veendam and an RCCL ship...couldn't tell which one. We really do miss cruising.

Mike didn't feel like cooking so on the way home we stopped at a seafood restaurant called R. J. Gators - it looked like a chain. We got some food and brought it home. It was pretty good but don't worry we didn't order alligator.

My body is so covered with little red dots that itch like crazy. I think all the little bugs that come in here in the evening think they here me saying "bite me." But believe me, I've never said that in any context.

Debbie
12/2/06

No comments:

Post a Comment