Thursday, January 11, 2007

Crystal River Wildlife

Since our car has been in the shop all week and the car they gave us is about the size of the matchbox cars I played with when I was little, I have stayed home all week while Mike and the dogs have gone hiking.

During some of that time each day I have taken a walk around the RV park. This park is much more interesting than the last one. So during my walks I have been taking some pictures. I thought I would share some of what I see as I walk.

This park is located on both a river and a lake. There are many RV spots right on the river and each of those spots has a private ramp to the dock and a reserved spot for their boat. I guess this is quite the fishing place.



There are many large metal rowboat type boats - all with engines of course. And then there are small yachts. This water must be deep for boats of this size to be on this small river.



While walking near the boat ramps on the river I glanced up just in time to see a pelican flying overhead.





On the banks of the river I spotted this Great Egret.



And this unidentified bird. This is the first time I've stumped Mike on a bird. Of course maybe that is because I'm giving him the wrong information on the size. He thinks he knows what it is but says it is about two feet tall. However, I just don't recall it being that tall. Anyway, it's some kind of bird!





After leaving the river I headed over to the lake. There are numerous RV spots all around the lake as well. It is a pretty little lake with two different types of fountains.



Along the banks of the lake I came across a pretty goose.





Then I saw this pretty little Immature Baby Blue Heron. Who knew they were totally white when they are youngsters!





When the dogs got home I took Wazzu out for a bit of squirrel stalking.

Mike says I am becoming quite the squirrel photographer. Well if you spent an hour at a time staring a squirrel while Wazzu stalks it you'd become a good squirrel photographer as well.



Wazzu sure was excited to see three squirrels all so close together on one tree!



These two were just too cute.



And even though Wazzu was only about a foot from this squirrel it wasn't going to move until it had finished his nut.



I didn't tell Wazzu what I thought these two may be up to. The next picture was much more graphic so I left that one out!



While Wazzu was still staring at the squirrels I got a bit bored an started looking up in the air. I came across this really rare bird!



Okay, maybe not so rare. It's just your regular robin!

But of a little more interest I did see a turkey vulture.



And this pretty Great Egret.



By now I was tired of staring at these same squirrels so I forcefully convinced Wazzu it was time to go home - much to her dismay!

Debbie
1/11/07

No comments:

Post a Comment