Thursday, March 04, 2010

Burt

(Ft. McDowell, AZ) We had a great day. The weather was beautiful and I got to be out and about....kind of like a real person.

Mike, Boogie, and I left home at 9:15am to head all the way across Phoenix to my doctor appointment. I really don't know why I bother. They always just say "hmm, I've never seen anything like that before".

But when that was finally over, we headed out to Westworld where the Fiesta Cluster is being held. The Fiesta Cluster is a huge five day dog show that includes conformation, obedience, rally, and four rings of agility. There are literally thousands of dogs there each day.

We weren't entered in anything today but we went out to root on friends and get Boogie groomed. Two Sunkist dogs (Boogie relatives) were entered in conformation today. Both were being handled by Alison who was Boogie's handler. She is so great with all the dogs. In fact, a quick story: When we arrived we had to walk quite a ways over to the Border Terrier ring. Boogie had his nose glued to the ground big time. Mike tried to pull his head up but he was having nothing to do with that. He continued that the entire way. We were still walking when suddenly Boogie stopped, brought his head way up in the air and started air scenting. Suddenly he locked his eyes on someone and started pulling for all he was worth. We looked up and there was Alison about 20 feet away from us. He wanted to go see Alison! She was busy showing another breed of dog but Boogie wasn't going to move. He stood right there just staring at her. He was so excited when she finally had the chance to come see him. I think he was very disappointed as we stood at that ring for close to three hours and Alison took all these other dogs into the ring but not him. He really loves Alison so much.

While we were waiting for that to begin we saw so many people we know. It seems as though I never got to finish a conversation because people were coming up to me wanting to talk . It was great!! We got to see so many people we haven't seen for a while...and a lot of people that we've seen recently but still were nice enough to come talk with me.

I just can't describe how nice it felt to get to be out in the warm sunshine (okay so I still wore a t-shirt and a sweatshirt), talk with so many nice people, and see so many adorable dogs. We were hanging out at the Border Terrier ring so we knew most of the people there. But other people that were just passing by noticed us and would stop to talk too. I'm sure most (if not all) of you can't begin to comprehend but it was so nice to feel like a human being for a little while instead of just someone being useless holed up in a small bedroom all by myself for days and weeks at a time.

The border terrier ring was about an hour and a half behind schedule. The judge was painstakingly slow like nothing I've ever seen. There were 27 border terriers and it took forever once it finally got started! But I was having such a good time that I didn't really care. We had a great time rooting for our friends. One of the dogs we were rooting for ended up winning Best of Winners (for a five point major) on his very first show. Must be nice! We were so happy for them as they are great people and the dog is super nice...and a good playmate of Boogie's.

When that was finally over, it was time for Boogie to get groomed. And he needed it badly as you can see.




When he was done he looked so cute....well he's always cute but now he is especially cute and feels so soft like a little puppy. But he looks so different when first groomed that we have trouble recognizing him so we call him "Burt".




It was such a great day but I was really hurting by now. So even though I'd intended on doing some shopping at the many vendors on site, there was just no way I could begin to do that. Hopefully I can get some shopping in during the next few days.

Most people think being up for four hours in a day isn't a big deal - in fact they probably don't even think a thing about it. But all of you that are healthy, please enjoy every minute. I had four hours of ecstasy today, oh man it was great! I'm paying for it big time now but I had so much fun.

Many thanks to all the wonderful people and dogs that visited me today. And a special thanks to Boogie's mammu who talked with me on the phone today while I was at the show. What a day!

Debbie
3/4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment