Friday, August 03, 2007

Big Scare

(Kent, WA) This weekend was the NADAC games trial that I had offered to put on. And even if I say so myself, I think it went over extremely well. It was a very fun and relaxed trial. The best part for me was that Shari and Pat set-up right next to us. Since it was a one ring trial, there were no conflicts. So I got to visit with both Shari and Pat much more than usual and I got to see every one of their runs – which were all spectacular to watch. For me, it was one of the most fun trials ever. I don’t usually get to hang around everyone very much and am usually by myself a fair amount of every trial. So being right amongst my friends and being in a place where I could see the action made this weekend so very much fun.

It could only be this fun and this successful if there was a really great Show Committee. And I think I had the best there could be. I really lucked out on the people that agreed to help with this trial. Every single aspect of the trail went so smoothly and they all helped each other out which I was so grateful for as I couldn’t help with much myself other than just overseeing things.



The weather this weekend was perfect except for an hour of so of mist/rain Sunday morning. Actually, for me it could have been a tad warmer but I know all the dogs much preferred it on the cooler side. I know Wazzu did that’s for sure.

We had an electronic timer with display. This made for a lot of fun as everyone would be watching the times and trying to beat the other times. And everyone would be rooting people on and cheering louder and louder trying to help people get around the course faster. It really was so much fun. That’s one reason why NADAC is so fun. You can root for each other, as placements don’t really matter except for the fun of it. And it was FUN!

There were a lot of exciting, fun, fast dogs there this weekend and of course we knew them all which makes it even more fun to root for each other. Sparkie, Quinn (Pat’s dog), and Ozzie (Shari’s dog) are all very fast so it was so fun to see how they each did compared to each other. They are all three in different divisions so they aren’t actually competing against each other. A couple times they each came in 1st place in their division all in the same run. I felt honored to get to be set-up in the same area with three such great dogs!

This was Boogie’s very first trial. I was very curious to see how he’d do with so much commotion around and so many dogs and people. We set up an x-pen and put a crate in there as well along with a few toys. He was so good! He’d entertain himself with his toys and then when he was tired he’d go into his crate and go to sleep. He slept through dogs barking, crying, people yelling, people and dogs running right by, etc. Northing bothered him one bit.

When he was out and about he got to meet a few dogs and quite a number of people. He was a bit aloof with people…..unless they had food – then he was their best friend. He’s so polite. He’d just sit quitely looking at them until they gave him a treat – and he’d take it so gently. Saturday he got to play with a Boston Terrier. Zeke is a couple years older than Boogie, is a bit taller and much stockier. And even though Zeke played a little rough at times, Boogie didn’t act real frightened. He tried to find cover once in a while but always came back out and played. It was really nice for him to have an opportunity to play with another dog.

Wazzu never slept the entire trial. She was always wanting to be right with me keeping a close eye on everything I was doing. And she was so happy that I was paying attention to her and doing something with her instead of the puppy. She was so happy in fact that she ran fast with a big smile on her face every run. It was really nice seeing a happy face on her all weekend long. She was perfect on the weekend going 12/12! Maybe that’s another reason my weekend was so fun! Thanks Wazzu Puppy!!

Sparkie had a very nice trial as well going 11/16. However, Sunday was really her day to shine. She got 1st or 2nd in every run and went 7/8. In addition, she and Mike earned their Versatility NATCH-8 on a gorgeous 1st place Weavers run.

We had to be at the trail site very early both days to get it opened up and then stayed until the end each day. So by the time we got home on Sunday, Wazzu especially was totally worn out. Even though it was past 8pm, she hadn’t had dinner yet and she hadn’t had a meal since before 6am. Usually she is pestering Mike to let him know he forgot to give them dinner. But instead, she was lying next to me on the couch and was sound asleep. After Mike got the dinners ready he went to the door to take everyone out for dinner. He called Wazzu…..nothing. He called her again very loud……nothing. He immediately put the bowls down and checked to see if she was breathing. I could tell exactly what he was thinking and I jumped up to check her breathing as well. She was breathing – phew. But we still couldn’t wake her up. That was an extremely scary moment. After wiggling her and calling her name a few more times she woke up out a very very deep sleep. She acted like she had no idea where she was. Now that's a tired dog. I’ll bet she’s going to sleep well tonight!

Debbie
7/28-29/07

No comments:

Post a Comment