Saturday, August 11, 2007

Four is Fine

(Bandon, OR) I was surprised when Mike announced this morning that he’d like to try and take all four dogs to the beach at the same time. But I was happy that he was willing to try it as I really enjoy having all of us together.

It was so pretty when we arrived at the beach this morning.



I thought I was the one happy about the decision to take all four dogs but it turned out that Wazzu was happiest of all. She was happier than either Mike or I have seen her in a long time. She wanted to be involved in everything - which also meant she wanted to get every single stick that was thrown. She let the other dogs know in no uncertain terms that every stick was hers.

She had a huge smile on her face the whole time. Boogie could tell that this was big dog play day. So he stayed out of the way and let them play – although he watched very carefully and took lessons I’m sure.



Playing in the water is fun but it sure makes you wet.



The dogs were all off leash most of the time and they were so good. It really made for a fun time. They were all on their best best behaviour. Many times they let Boogie join in their fun.



Each dog had their favorite activity today. Like usual, Slugger's favorite activity is finding a new cologne that will make him smell so manly.



It may not be our favorite activity for him but it sure kept him occupied for a long time. He did this for over 15 minutes with sand flying everywhere. We actually didn't notice that he stunk to high heaven until we got in the car. Peeweee.



We'd even had him do a lot of swimming to try and dilute his new cologne but it didn't work.



Slugger did try to involve Boogie in one of his activities. Fortunately it wasn't the cologne activity.



While the dogs were busy doing their various activities, I had a few spare moments to capture a few birds. This Pigeon Guillemot flew around so fast and changed directions so frequently that it took me quite a while to even get him in the frame at all.



This little guy, some sort of sandpiper type bird, was much easier to capture as he wasn't really afraid of me and he was busy finding breakfast.



And finally, some pelicans flew by at a leisurely pace.



Once again, Boogie showed us that he is one smart puppy. We were going through some rocks that were very low so without thinking we just stepped over. I checked to make sure Boogie was coming and he had backed way up.



I wondered why he had backed up. He came running toward me again and as hard as he tried he couldn't jump over. He then tried to squish between the rocks but there was just no way.



As I was thinking maybe I should lift him over, he suddenly turned and ran all the way around the rock which brought him right to me. It was probably 40' around and he'd never been there before. I'm not sure how he figured that out! Maybe it's because he spends quite a bit of time just watching the other dogs. Here he is in his study mode.



You can only study so long before you need to go for a stroll.



This took some time but I managed to get me and all four dogs on a rock for a picture. If you squint really hard you can see us! Tee hee.



As you can see we had the beach to ourselves and the tide was out enough that we had a fair amount of beach to play on.



I couldn't help but share a pretty shot I got today. I loved the blue streak through the sky.



By the time we finished our walk it was lunchtime. On our way back was a little sidewalk café that serves excellent seafood. So we parked on the pier and watched people fish and work their crab pots while we all had a nice lunch of fish and chips.

Later in the afternoon it was finally my opportunity to try my hand at my new career – being a barber! I got a 65 piece barber kit – it even came with a cape. Okay, so that’s not the most important piece of the kit….good thing as I forgot to use it. Of course Mike was my first customer – and I’m sure the only customer I’ll ever have.

So here is Mike “before.”



And here is Mike “after.”



All right wise guy, enough with the funny face. I did a pretty good job for my first time. To me, in the picture, it doesn’t look like I cut off all that much. But there sure was a lot of hair on the ground. Best thing was that it was a little windy out and a lot of the hair just blew away.

Boogie and Wazzu kept themselves very occupied during the haircut by chewing on a couple bully sticks.



It’s really nice to have two dogs that you can totally trust outside with you and not have to have them on leash. Who would have thought that one of them would be the three month old puppy! He’s just fitting into our lifestyle and routine so nicely. I think we really lucked out…..I’m sure the breeder would say it a little differently! Whatever the case, it’s working out very nicely so far.

Debbie
8/9/07

No comments:

Post a Comment