Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Double Nothing

(Palm Desert, CA) This morning was a bit of a repeat of yesterday except Mike took the three big dogs and left Boogie with me so we could practice our show moves – like we have show moves! The hike was a bit of a struggle as each of the dogs wanted to go at a totally different pace. Sparkie was zooming around like a neurotic gnat, Wazzu was trotting around like a happy content dog, and Slugger was doing his imitation of a century old statue. Walks like this aren’t all that pleasant for Mike but the dogs each in their own way had a good time.

Then it was off for another dreaded shopping trip. We went back to the mall searching high and low for something…anything that might even be close. But there just wasn’t anything that even came close. We did find out that my only hope would be in the Junior section. Sizes there were much closer to fitting me but the styles seemed just a little young for me. The pants are all bell bottoms and they go super low on your hips – they seemed to ride much lower than the bikini swim suits even. Then they had these teeny tiny little jackets – with either no pockets or fake pockets and they didn’t come anywhere close to meeting the pants. I don’t know, but somehow they didn’t look quite right on a 50 year old lady! If they would have fit I probably would have bought them anyway as I was getting really desperate by now.

So we decided to bite the bullet and go down to El Paseo. This is like the super fancy area of town where the really high class (read “expensive”) stores are. Here’s how fancy it is. Our car could even go into the parking garage! Everywhere we go we can never go into a parking garage as the ceiling heights are too low since we have a cartop carrier. But this parking garage had super high ceilings so we fit with plenty of room to spare. When we drove in we saw all these empty spots right up front. Cool, we get a front row spot..but no! The first two rows had these tiny little spots all marked “Golf Cart Parking Only.” How funny is that! It reminded me of when my parents were down here (they come for a month each year) one time and my Dad drove his golf cart from their condo down to town so he could eat breakfast at his favorite spot.

Anyway, we both swallowed real hard as we entered this very expensive looking store. Unlike all the other stores we’d been in, there was actually a salesperson that came right up to help us. I thought this was great as I was really tired of all this unsuccessful shopping. Can you believe it – we actually had choices! I find this all extremely crazy but the size I had to buy was a double 0. Yup, that’s right 00P (for petite). That’s just plain wrong. How can there be a nothing, let along a double nothing. Crazy is what it is. Mike said it’s a good thing I’ve added so much fat in the last year or there is no way a 00 would have fit. And he’s right – last year I would have needed suspenders to hold these pants up. The pants that fit actually ride so low that I still think suspenders might be the right idea.

So, after another six hours of shopping I finally had something to wear. Phew. I didn’t find exactly what I was hoping for but I did find a jacket that had matching pants that fit me around the waist. They are too short (did I mention I hate short pants!) and the jacket only has a small pocket but most of the jackets only had fake pockets so this was a jackpot. For those of you that dress up all the time, what’s up with all the fake pockets! So I won’t have room for brushes, combs, treats, and all the other stuff the handlers take into the ring with them - but I couldn’t figure out how to use any of that stuff in the ring anyway so I guess it’s not really a big problem.

As much as this outfit cost, little Boogie better get some points this weekend! What an expensive (and dreadful) “sport” this is. I’ll be really glad when this is over.

Debbie
1/16/08

No comments:

Post a Comment