Thursday, January 17, 2008

Steak Anyone?

(Palm Desert/Ventura, CA) As always, Boogie was really excited to see me this morning and he greeted me with his usual enthusiasm. Wouldn’t you know, the day before a show, during his great morning greeting he punches me with his paw and gives me a black eye. I sure hope this show is outdoors so that I can wear my sunglasses.

Fortunately it’s on the upper portion of my eye so it isn’t quite as noticeable when my eyes are open but you can still definitely see it. Mike says I can tell people he did it so that Boogie doesn’t get marked down at the show for being a bully. It was only a matter of time I suppose as Boogie’s greetings are totally frantic. Usually I just get scratches on my face that go away after half a day or so, or I get a bloody lip. I’m now thinking we may need to readjust his greeting style.

No time to worry about that now as we had to get all packed up for our drive to Ventura. We were not looking forward to this as we had to drive through Los Angeles. We hate driving through big cities in the RV – especially ones as busy and as complicated as L.A. But the drive went well right until the end. We were following the directions to the show site. The very last turn said to go left to the fairgrounds. So we went left and drove and drove until we got back into town. We knew this wasn't right so we pulled over (not easy with an RV and a car) to ask directions. They said if we had turned right instead of left we would have run right into it. How nice would it be for these folks to give the correct directions.

When we arrived, I opened Boogie's crate to let him out. Usually he comes out doing a huge slow stretch. But today he shot out of the crate in an upward movement. His head hit the underside of my jaw really hard. I thought my jaw was broken but while I was holding my jaw all this blood was coming out of my mouth. The force on my jaw made me bite my tongue and it was gushing blood. It felt like it was swollen to the size of a hippo's tongue...and that's big. Great, now I have a black eye and my tongue is so swollen that I can barely talk. Boogie is just a little demolition man!

The show site is located right across the street from the beach. So while I was getting the RV all set up, Mike took the dogs in shifts down to the beach for a nice walk. I looked around the show site to get my bearings so I'd know where I needed to be in the morning. Wouldn't you know, the rings are indoors. No sunglasses needed. Not good a good sign for me.

I took pictures of me after my rough day today but I'll spare you. Believe me, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Debbie
1/17/08

No comments:

Post a Comment