Wednesday, September 20, 2006

WOW WAZZU

Update on Chances: We don't have results yet so I can't tell you who the top finishers were. But I can tell you about Mike and Sparkie. Mike put Sparkie on a nice sit stay, held is hand out (his wait command) and sauntered out past the first jump and along the dogwalk. Mike was walking fairly slowly and was getting very far away from Sparkie. I think Sparkie thought that Mike either forgot to release her or she missed the release command. Anyway, Mike is still sauntering out and Sparkie is running. The crowd starts roaring and Mike is still sauntering. He didn't know anything until after Sparkie ran past him. Sparkie actually ran very nicely but something scared her each time she did the set of six poles. She got half way through and then popped out and stood there acting very scared. Mike was great and used a very happy voice and got her going again. They did a couple things at distance so probably got a few points. Oh, they are announcing the Chances awards now.....20": 6th place Susan Perry and Harley, 7th place Bart Pierce and Pulse, place 20+: 1st place Michael Bruce and Jule, 2nd place Karen Hunter and Quickie, 6th place Susan Perry and Lacey.

Next was Tunnelers. It was a long course and of course had many call offs. The dogs ran straight down four tunnels which then curved to three straight tunnels only they only got to do two and then had to do a 180. I won't tell you the whole course but you get the idea of the speed they built up just in time for them to turn away from a tunnel and go the opposite direction - this happened a few times during the course. In addition, there were three box opportunities. We didn't try the box.

I decided even though it was a long course to let Wazzu give it a try. We stood in line and when it was time to go to the line we went out to the start line. The other dog still had five or six obstacles to go so I was really trying to get Wazzu revved up. She started doing crazy dog on leash!! I was so excited. The other dog left the course and just as I started to take her leash off they said "hold the next dog." ARG. So I started playing with her and they came over and said it would be about five minutes. Oh just our luck! So I got our treats back and tried to keep her happy. When it was time, Wazzu took off so fast I could barely see her - just a little dot out in front of me. She was blazing and most of all she looked so happy. The look on her face was so cool. At the end everyone in the stands cheered and clapped as they know what she is going through. She loved it. She put her ears back and started prancing around. That run was worth the trip here.

Oh, ya. Sparkie ran too! She had a great run. Unfortunately at one of the sharp turns Mike had to stop suddenly. Sparkie heard Mike's foot hit the ground hard and she stopped and looked so scared. That of course cost them time. But Mike let her know all was well and she looked happy again and took off like she was on fire. Great run.

Then it was on to Weavers. All day they had been going small to tall and suddenly they switched to tall to small. Yikes I was third dog. I had to run back to the RV to get Wazzu. And Sparkie was only five dogs after me. Wazzu still seemed happy so I figured I'd let her try.

That crazy girl took off so fast! She came to the first set of weaves (I was way back in the dust) and I yelled WEAVE. Even from behind I could see her grin and say I'd much rather do tunnels. So she ran WAY OUT of any normal path and took an off course tunnel. She came back to me and started jumping all over me and doing crazy dog. I finally got her into the first set of weaves and she did them faster than she has ever weaved before. But since we'd already ruined the run I didn't want her to wear herself out so I just did a big loop of tunnels around the outside to get us off the course. Once again a very loud cheer and Wazzu just ate it up!

Sparkie did a beautiful Weavers course. She had what seemed like a very respectable time. But they didn't do the box so it's very doubtful she'll place. But she had a great run.

As usual, they are running late. So they set up the jumpers course and as soon as the big dogs finished running Weavers they went to walk Jumpers. It was a slow process and we just got started about 20 minutes ago. I scratched Wazzu as she doesn't want to jump and she's so happy I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

Sparkie and Mike had a little confusion and Sparkie tried to back jump but Mike was standing directly in front of the jump and they crashed. Bars went flying everywhere. And get this.....Mike stops and resets the jump and the bars! Then he goes on and completes the run perfectly. Too bad about the collision but they both seem fine.

Well, even though MANY people are still running the banquet is starting in eight minutes. So I gotta hurry and get ready and get over there since I was recruited to help hand out awards. I'm in charge of eighth place awards. Gosh, if I do a good job maybe I can be trusted to do a higher one....like maybe seventh place.

Happy Debbie and Happy Wazzu

No comments:

Post a Comment