Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ouch

(Olympia, WA) Today was going to be a fun day as we had a cake tasting appointment at a really good bakery in Olympia to taste cakes for my parents 50th anniversary party that is coming up in a few weeks.

On the way, we had a few errands to do. We had just finished our last errand and were sitting still waiting for the traffic to clear so we could pull out when suddenly we were hit from behind. A guy in a truck didn't look before backing up (I guess) and hit us.



As you can see they hit us pretty good. It isn't just a little scrape.



In fact, when the guy hit us, he didn't stop. He just tried going a little more - which just scraped up his old truck even more.

Mike got out to check the damage and talk with the guy that hit us. They started exchanging information when I heard the other guy say "I guess I'd better tell you right off that I don't have insurance." It was at this point that I decided I better call to get the police to come out and make a police report. I learned this by watching Judge Judy. (And here I always thought daytime TV was a huge waste of time!) So after the guy mentioned he had no insurance Mike said "Isn't that against the law?" To which the guy responded: "Well, I didn't have enough money the last time the bill was due." Mike replied "I think that's still against the law." The guy then proceeded to tell us he'd never had a wreck in 20 years. I'm kind of thinking that if you don't have insurance you might want to be really careful and LOOK before you back up.

The ironic thing is that someone hit us just six months ago and we had this exact part of the car replaced. The guy hit the newest part of our car! Bummer.

So we waited about ten minutes for the police to show up. She took down all the information and got statements from all of us - amazing how long this all takes! We were started to get worried we might be late for our cake tasting!

After a while another police car showed up. This officer had a much fancier uniform. I guess the first officer just takes statements and makes police reports. the second officer is the one that gives tickets. As we left the guy was getting cited for not having insurance and getting both his license and his truck registration suspended.

Trying to figure out how to get your car fixed when you're always traveling is difficult. So we won't be able to get it fixed for another month. And since the guy isn't insured we have a deductible (even though we have uninsured motorist coverage) and there is no coverage for a rental car. It's really inconvenient to be without our car since it is specially designed to carry me. But it would be nice to have some sort of car so at least Mike and the dogs can get around.

So my suggestion is if you're ever hit make sure the people that crash into have insurance first! But the good thing is that the dogs weren't in the car and no one in either vehicle was hurt. And the best thing was that we got to our cake tasting in time!

Can you believe I forgot to take pictures at our tasting. Arg. Guess my brain was still a little off due to the wreck.

Anyway, we thought we were going to get just a bite of each cake to taste. But when the guy came out he brought a large piece of each cake for each of us. Even Mike got full. The rest of us (mom, dad, and me) couldn't begin to eat all our cake. But it was all so good. Even the one that wasn't my favorite was still good.

I am so full that I don't ever want to eat cake again....well at least until tomorrow anyway! Tee hee.

It was a beautiful day and we really enjoyed the view from the house the rest of the afternoon. This is the view out the front windows.


This was taken from out on the deck. What a beautiful day!



Debbie
6/20/07

No comments:

Post a Comment