Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Our Stars

(Phoenix, AZ) After working her three dogs this morning, Billie was so kind to give Boogie and I a little agility lesson. Actually Boogie is doing great…I was the one that needed the lesson. I was taught a whole new way to go about training. It will definitely take some time but I think it will help us tremendously as a team in the long run. It will also help our relationship in general. I’m so lucky to have Billie as my mentor and friend.

Boogie and I hung out at “home” today spending lots of time playing with Boogie’s little nephew Skatt’r, while Mike and the big dogs went out hiking. We had a blast. Little Skatt’r is one fun puppy! He is so different than Boogie. Boogie has always been a calm dog with a lot of self control…just like Wazzu. He has never cared for toys – food is where it’s at for him And he’s never really cared for other people at all. Skatt’r on the other hand is a little furry bouncy nut – who absolutely loves toys. He jumps around and plays exactly like a little kitten. And every person he meets acts as though they are his long lost best friend.

And energy! Oh my goodness, you can’t wear this puppy out. He and Boogie played, ran, and wrestled together for quite a while each time they got together to play. They truly are best buds. I laughed so hard watching those two play. They were completely inseparable when they were out together. I think Boogie thinks we got him a new little puppy. Every time we have to put Skatt’r away to rest, Boogie cries and wants to go with his buddy.

Mike and I have spent so much time with Skatt’r this past week that he seems like a member of the family. We would love to have Skatt’r join our family for good. But I’m pretty sure that would never fly with Billie! At least Skatt’r will always be a part of our extended family. I can’t wait to see this cute little guy grow up.

Oh gosh, after spending a week here, now I want a yard and another puppy! I’m guessing neither of those are coming any time soon….

We are so proud of all our dogs for a variety of reasons. But today others in the agility community got to see a glimpse of one reason why we are so proud. The NADAC 2007 Top Ten by Breed was posted today for all of the U.S, Canada, and Australia.

It lists dogs by breed and by class. There are six different classes (Regular, Jumpers, Chances, Tunnelers, Touch N Go, and Weavers).

Sparkie was the NUMBER ONE ranked Mixed Breed in ALL CLASSES!! And it wasn't even close. She easily won. To take a look at the bigger picture, there were only four dogs in their respective breed that were number one in all classes (of dogs that had more than one dog in their breed). And of those four dogs, Sparkie had MANY more points than any of them. Way to go Sparkie and Mike.

Wazzu did really well too! She was #2 (behind Sparkie of course!) in Tunnelers and Touch N Go, #3 in Regular, Jumpers, and Chances, and #6 in Weavers. She has been in the Overall Top Ten for many years. But this will be her last year to make the Top Ten as she is in the midst of retiring and is no longer eligible. I'm so proud of Wazzu for all she has accomplished throughout her career. I hope we'll have another brag or two before she is completely retired.

For our final little brag I think I'm going to post the comments of our good friend, Pat: "Then we scrolled all the way down to Slugger's breed, and there he was, little Kissy Face." Too cute - as that so describes our little Slugger. Get this! He is the #1 pit in Tunnelers!

I guess we'll stick with agility for a while longer!

Debbie
3/4/08

No comments:

Post a Comment